here's how it works:
- For every $5.00 donation you qualify for one Felt Cafe Japan raffle ticket. Donate as much as you can afford then leave a comment here on this post with your donation amount and the number of tickets that gives you. (eg. $10.00 = 2 raffle tickets)
- PRIVACY - if you'd prefer to keep your donation amount private please email me your ticket # requests firstname.lastname@example.org I want to encourage people to donate as much as they can to this desperate situation.
- Payments are accepted by PayPal, credit card, etc or US residents can text JAPAN to 50555 to make an automatic donation of $10 (your donation will earn you two raffle tickets here). Please make your donations directly to the globalgiving websites.
- Honesty policy - I trust that you will make a donation in order to enter this raffle. The winner may be asked to verify their receipt number in order to confirm their eligibility to enter. There are a number of raffles being run across the blogosphere, please make a separate donation for each raffle or auction you wish to enter. Let's raise as much money as possible to help the many people of Japan who have lost everything.
- Raffle prize will be drawn on March 26th, midday Japan time. Winner will be chosen randomly and notified by email, make sure I have a way of contacting you via email or your blog user name.
- The giveaway / raffle / auction is being held on this blog, in cooperation with a Bit of This and a Bit of That. We are in no way affiliated with global giving, that's just our chosen method of getting funds safely to the affected area.
felt cafe japan how to make felt kit
all you need to make your first piece of wool felt is this kit, dish soap, hot water, and about half an hour.
in honor of japan, this kit includes red and white wool.
what is felt?
felt is dense, matted wool. this technique is a traditional method of feltmaking, sometimes called direct or wet felting. starting with wool roving (fluffy wool before it’s been spun into yarn) the process involves hot water, dish soap and friction. the tiny fibers on each strand of wool lift up, and become interlocked with each other to form one dense material.
this kits includes approximately 50 grams (about 2 ounces) of red and white wool and step by step instructions with photos. you can pick your own colors, just let me know which ones you want!
i created these directions after felting for several years and teaching many of my friends beginning felting. the directions are for creating a piece of flat felt, so you can make coasters, wristbands, a little scarf, etc.
the wool and color instruction sheet come in a sturdy resealable plastic pouch. right now, shipping is airmail from hawaii.
of course, you are welcome to ask me any questions you may have about making felt!